When you connected your charger to your HP laptop, you noticed the LED beside the charging port blinking white and your laptop isn’t turning on. This happens when your laptop’s battery is defective or the charger is physically damaged.
There are other several reasons too. Unless the battery or the charging cable is damaged, performing a power cycle on your laptop solves the issue.
In this article, we have shared the reasons as well as the solutions that you can follow to stop the white light blinking. Let’s begin then
Reasons Why White Light is Blinking on HP Laptop
Having issues with their own laptop is a very annoying thing and people easily get frustrated. And especially, when the issue is related to the laptop’s battery. We can understand your situation and are here today to help you out.
When the white light is blinking on your HP laptop, then the issue is totally related to the battery of it. It could be one of several things below –
- The battery is not connected properly or it is physically damaged.
- The charging cable or adapter is damaged.
- Defective charging port.
- Defective hardware like a defective keyboard.
- Backdated BIOS or battery drive.
These are the common reasons that are faced by users around the world. Now, we have the reasons and it will help us to solve the issue easily.
Methods to Fix White Light Blinking Issue on HP Laptop
First and foremost, check the battery connection on your laptop. A loose connection won’t charge the laptop and the white light blinks. If the issue isn’t solved then follow the methods below.
Method 1: Perform a Power Cycle
Many users have solved the white light blinking issue by power cycling their laptops. That’s why we also suggest it as a first method. To do so, if your laptop’s battery is removable, then take the battery out. Now, hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds and then insert the battery again. Now, plug in the charger and check whether the white light is blinking or not.
If the battery is integrated inside the laptop then you will need to open up it and then unplug the battery. Wait for 10 minutes. Now, connect the charger and the laptop will turn on. Now, turn the laptop off and connect the battery. By now, the problem will be solved.
Method 2: Check with a Different Charger
If you are still having the issue then the charger is to blame. If the charger is faulty then it will fail to provide sufficient electricity. For this, you have a spare charger, connect the laptop with it and see whether the issue is solved or not.
Method 3: Remove the Battery and Turn it On
If the battery is faulty then it won’t charge and as a result, the white light blinks. To check whether there is an issue with the battery or not, remove the battery and plug in the charger. Now, check whether the white light flashing is off or not. If the light stop blinking white then you will need to replace the old battery with a new one.
Method 4: Reinstall the Battery Driver
If you are facing the White light blinking issue while using the laptop then you can solve it by reinstalling the battery driver. To do so,
- Step 1: Right-click on the Start icon and select Device Manager from there.
- Step 2: Now, look for the Batteries option. When you find it, expand it.
- Step 3: Now, there you will have several drivers. You will need to uninstall the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) drivers. Right-click on it and then click on Uninstall.
- Step 4: Lastly, turn off your HP laptop and turn it on again. When the laptop will turn on, it will install the battery driver by itself.
Now, check whether the issue is solved or not.
Method 5: Update BIOS
According to the HP technical expert, the charger is connected but not charging or the white light blinking issue can be solved by updating the BIOS. Now, let’s find out how you can do that.
NOTE: For accomplishing this method, your laptop must have enough charge to start the laptop. If the laptop won’t turn on then you can’t apply this method. Also, while you are updating the BIOS, make sure the charger is connected to the laptop.
First, you will need to download the BIOS file from the HP website and then extract it.
- Step 1: Double-click on the downloaded BIOS file to start the installation process.
- Step 2: On the next window, click on Yes, and then click on Next.
- Step 3: Now, choose I accept the terms and then click on Next.
- Step 4: Next, on the HP BIOS Update and Recovery, click on Next.
- Step 5: There you will find various options, select update and then click on Next.
- Step 6: After that, the system will ask you to restart your laptop. Restart your laptop.
- Step 7: After restart, you will get the HP BIOS Update window. From there, click on Apply Update Now.
- Step 8: When the installation process is done, click on Continue Startup.
Sometimes the laptop’s keyboard conflicts with the battery and causes the white light blinking issue. For this, you can try to solve this issue by removing the keyboard from your laptop. To do so, remove the back part and screws. Then you will able to take out the keyboard and disconnect it.
Now, connect your charger to your laptop and turn it on. If the issue was happening due to a faulty keyboard then the problem will be solved.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions and Answers)
What does it mean when my laptop charger light blinks green?
If the LED is providing a short flash then it means the laptop charge is lower than 80% on the other hand a solid green light says, the battery is full of charge.
Why the AC power adapter LED is blinking continuously?
When there is an issue with the power adapter, the LED of the AC power adapter starts blinking continuously.
Why the Caps lock of my HP laptop is blinking twice?
When the CPU stops functioning properly, the caps lock’s LED starts blinking twice. In this case, you will need to check out the laptop’s CPU.
Lastly, if the aforementioned methods didn’t work then probably there is an issue with the charging port or there is an issue on the motherboard. So, schedule an appointment with the HP customer center and take your laptop for servicing today!