CPU is like the brain of the computer where every piece of data gets processed. So, it needs to be very fast in what it does. One such budget-friendly processor is the Intel Core i5 processor. But both the speed and cost also depend on the generation of the processor.
And a common question arises about which generation of Core i5 is better – 2nd or 3rd generation. Usually, the next generation always corrects some of the flaws of the previous one and is an upgraded version. It is the same in this case. Intel’s Core i5 3rd gen is superior to Core i5 2nd gen.
Here in this article, we will show you the difference between 2nd gen core i5 and 3rd gen core i5 and confirm any doubts about why the 3rd gen i5 is better.
What Are the Differences Between 2nd Gen i5 and 3rd Gen i5?
Since there are many different models of processors in the same generation, it can be a bit difficult to compare the two generations as a whole. So, for this comparison, we will take one model from each generation as a reference. We’ll take the Intel Core i5-2400 from 2nd Gen i5 and the Intel Core i5-3470 from 3rd Gen i5 as the references.
Here is a chart to highlight the differences between 2nd-gen i5 and 3rd-gen i5 processors –
|Features||Intel Core i5-2400 (2nd Gen i5)||Intel Core i5-3470 (3rd gen i5)|
|RAM Speed [Higher is better]||1333 MHz||1600 MHz|
|Transistor Size [Smaller is better]||32nm||22nm|
|Turbo Clock Speed [Higher is better]||3.4 GHz||3.6 GHz|
|GPU Clock Speed [Faster is better]||850 MHz||650 MHz|
|PCIe Express Version [Newer is better]||2||3|
|Memory Bandwidth [More is better]||21 GB/s||25.6 GB/s|
|Maximum Operating Temperature [Higher is better]||72.6° C||67.4° C|
|Thermal Design Power (TDP) [Lower is better]||95W||77W|
From this chart, you can see that 3rd Gen i5 wins in almost all the features. And this is the same for all models between these two generations of processors.
Now, we’ll discuss each of the features in detail so that you have a better understanding of why 3rd gen i5 is better –
1. As a general rule, faster RAM equals faster processing speed. You may boost the speed at which memory sends information to other components by using faster RAM. That is, your fast CPU now has a rapid means of communicating with the other components which makes your computer much more efficient.
So, in this case, the 3rd gen i5 has more RAM speed. This will increase the overall performance of the CPU and in turn, you will have a smoother experience when using your computer.
2. If the transistor size is small, there’s less distance between each of the transistors. And when there’s less distance, the electric signal travels faster which makes the performance of the CPU much faster.
Since the transistor size of the 3rd gen i5 is smaller than the 2nd gen i5 CPU, the electrical signal travel speed is faster in 3rd gen i5 processors. So, 3rd gen i5 wins here as well.
3. While the CPU is operating within its limits, it might boost to a higher clock speed to provide improved performance. This is called Turbo Clock Speed and the more clock speed a CPU has, the better. So, the 3rd gen i5 processor takes the lead in this category.
4. GPU clock speed is the same as CPU clock speed, but it’s for the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). The more GPU clock speed you have, the faster a GPU can operate and then cooperate with the CPU. The 2nd gen i5 processor gets the upper hand here because of its fast operating capabilities.
5. PCIe is used to connect components such as graphics cards, and HDD/SSD to the motherboard. The newest versions can support more bandwidth hence improving performance. The 3rd gen i5 processor has version 3 of the PCIe express slots. This is better than the previous generation processor which gives an edge to the 3rd gen i5 processors.
6. The maximum pace at which data may be read or put into memory is referred to as memory bandwidth. And more memory bandwidth makes it easier to read data or put it into memory. 3rd gen i5 wins again without issues.
7. High temperature is always bad news on any electronic device. This is the same for the CPU as well. If somehow the CPU exceeds its maximum operating temperature, many problems including random resets can happen. So, it should always be kept as low as possible.
The 3rd gen i5 has a lower maximum operating temperature than the 2nd gen i5. This makes it more vulnerable to getting into problems due to overheating. So, the 2nd gen i5 comes on top in this case.
8. The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the maximum amount of electricity that the cooling system must dissipate. And lower TDP (Thermal Design Power) usually consumes less power. The 3rd gen i5 has a lower TDP which helps consume less power which in turn produces less heat. So, 3rd Gen i5 gets the upper hand here over 2nd Gen i5.
From what we’ve described above, it is safe to say that the 3rd gen i5 is far superior to the 2nd gen i5. It is much faster, has better PCIe compatibility, and also produces less heat overall. All of these make it more favorable than the 2nd Gen i5. So, if you’re thinking about getting either of them, consider going for the 3rd gen i5 processor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best version of Intel Core i5?
The latest versions of a processor are always better than their predecessors. The newest 13th-generation processors would be your best choice. But depending on your budget, you can go for any of the versions since i5 processors are generally great processors.
Can i5 run high-end games?
Yes, you can run high-end games such as GTA V with an i5 processor. You would need other components such as 8GB RAM and a good GPU, but for the most part, the i5 processor is good enough for casual high-end gaming.
In conclusion, since the 2nd Gen i5 and the 3rd Gen i5 are not as pricy as each other, it is best to go with the 3rd Gen i5 processor since it is more future-proof. We hope we were able to provide you with enough information so you can decide between core i5 2nd and 3rd generation. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us in the comments section.
Leave a Reply